Seton: Our Historical Timeline

 

1884 Sisters of Charity, Dubuque, IA, opened a school in a room at St. Mary's Church.
 
1898 Father Joseph Kelly built the first school at St. Mary's.
 
1907 Sacred Heart School opened by Father Culemans and Sister Mary Catherine was appointed the first superior.
 
1926 New grade school and high school built at St. Mary's.
 
1949 Alleman High School opens and St. Mary's School becomes a grade school only.
 
1953 Monsignor J.J. Levan dedicates the newly constructed Sacred Heart Catholic School at 16th Avenue and 14th Street.
 
1978 Seton Catholic School System established with the merging of St. Mary's and Sacred Heart Schools. K-5th grades were housed at Sacred Heart School, 6th - 8th grades at St. Mary's.
 
1996 Feasibility study conducted to test for support of a new Seton Junior High building.
 
1997 $3.65 million capital campaign initiated to build a new Seton Junior High School.
 
1998 New Seton Middle School was completed and opened.
   
2014 Seton Catholic School becomes a wireless campus.